Protection equipment is an essential part of workers’ life as they face risks every single day and endanger their lives. They need to wear safety clothes as there are high chances of accidents. These accidents can occur during work. A certain layer of protection ensures that the worker does not get hurt. Also, workers get maximum comfort as well.
Cut-resistant gloves are manufactured and designed in such a way that it protects your hands while working with sharp tools like knives, or sharp materials like metals. Not all cut-resistant gloves are produced in the same manner. Also, that is a good thing, depending on the severity of the dangers that you are facing.
All cut-resistant gloves should be made according to either American standards or European standards. This means that the cut-resistant gloves should pass certain tests in order to be sold in the market. The gloves have various levels based on these standards. For American standards, the range is between A1 to A9 and for European standards, the range is between 1 to 399999. The following process is conducted in order to decide whether a glove has passed or failed the test.
American Standard (ANSI)
- For the first step, the glove sample is kept on a conductive strip and loaded onto the TDM-100. As soon as the metal blade touches the strip, the test is terminated.
- A straight blade is stacked into the machine.
- Weight is added in order to serve as strength.
- The blade then moves across the material.
- For the next step, the blade is again replaced with a new one to ensure accuracy.
- The sample is cut at least 5 times, each with three different strengths.
- The distance between the cut and blade is recorded at various forces.
- This data is used to understand the force required to cut through the sample.
- In the end, the glove receives a rating based on the above information within the range of A1 to A9, with A1 being the lowest and A9 being the highest level of cut protection.
European Standard EN(388)
- For the European standard, a test sample is taken from the palm of a glove.
- A rotating circular blade then moves back and forth across the sample until a cut is achieved.
- The test sample is then compared to a reference material which is generally a cloth.
- The reference material or cloth is then cut alternately with the test sample until at least five results are obtained.
- To help account for a loss in case of sharpness to the blade, the reference material is cut before and after the sample.
- The resistance of cut is the ratio of the number of cycles required to cut through the test sample compared with the reference material (cloth).
The European standard consists of two methods, but until 2016, the Coup test as described above was the only test under the standard. After 2016, the standard introduced the ISO 13997 concept which closely relates to the American standard test. If the blade makes about 60 passes over the test sample glove without obtaining any cut through under the coup test method, the tester has to use the ISO 13997 cut test method.
Functioning of resistant gloves
The functioning of resistant gloves is done in such a manner that the wearer gets both protection as well as comfort at the same time. The various situations in which cut resistant gloves protect the wearer are-
Chemical and biohazards
There is a major risk of injuries when the workers or employees have to handle dangerous chemicals. During such a situation there are a number of bottles that can break and cause severe cuts. Also, the chemical can burn the hands. So cut resistant gloves can be utilized during this time.
Cuts, abrasions, and punctures
There are almost no industries where cuts, abrasions, and punctures are not a risk. For such a situation, cut-resistant gloves made with the best material and gone through a severe test need to be selected. For people working in industries where there is a major involvement of blades, it is necessary that we use resistant gloves.
Injuries can happen at any time and to ensure that these accidents do not occur we have to try to work according to the various rules and regulations. But at times when things go out of hand, and workers take things lightly, injuries can happen. So resistant gloves are of utmost importance.
The workers have to work in extreme conditions no matter how bad or harsh the heat is . During such a situation, a proper protection kit is mandatory and the most important one is resistant gloves.
Severe weather and extreme temperature
Be it cold winters or scorching summers or windy storms, people have to work on a daily basis and protect themselves against all odds. In such a case, protective equipment consists of resistant gloves, protective boots, jackets, etc.
The bottom line
No matter where you work, there is always a chance of risks. So use the best protection kit, especially a good pair of gloves that protects you from almost all conditions. One thing to keep in mind is to buy the best gloves or else all the money will go to waste. Rather than buying cheap products, look for a product that is of high quality and lasts for a longer period of time.
A company that produces the best quality products and also provides the best services to all their customers is RP Com trade. They are a safety products manufacturer working in the industry for many years along with other industries and fields as well. The talented and skilled set of employees ensure that the customers receive only the best products. Also, employees receive a sense of satisfaction once they buy our products.
We hope that you understand the importance of wearing protective kits. So if you are an owner of a factory that does risky work, then you should definitely think of providing protective kits to your workers.