Safety is the first priority in everyone’s lives. We all say that prevention is better than cure. And when certain incidents cause injury or harm, this saying becomes very true as people have come up with safety equipment to protect themselves. These equipment have been in existence for quite a long time. These equipment are known as personal protective equipment or PPE that consists of gloves, jackets, goggles, helmets, and boots. They are worn when the personnel have to do any risky task.
For this article, we will be highlighting the safety gloves which are an essential no matter how risky or easy the situation is. To understand more, continue reading the article and learn all the precautions and necessary points to be taken into consideration.
What are safety gloves?
Safety gloves are designed to keep you safe from health hazards and injuries that can harm their life. Different tasks have different gloves that consist of different materials. The different types of safety gloves consist of-
- Fabric or cotton gloves
- Coated fabric gloves
- Latex or synthetic gloves
- Leather gloves
- Aluminized gloves
- Kevlar gloves
- Puncture resistant gloves
- Impact resistant gloves
- Vibration resistant gloves
- Chemical and liquid resistant gloves
- Butyl rubber gloves and many more
These gloves are used in different situations and the level of safety differs in each one of them. So one has to research about it in detail and look for the right gloves. Each glove also has a life span and using certain gloves for a long time could prove to be harmful. For instance, rubber gloves that are used in hospitals and other medical specialties should be used only once and removed as soon as the job for the day is done. On the other hand, leather or welder’s gloves can be used for a long time. However, they should be removed if there is puncture or tear in the gloves.
Inspection and testing
Before selecting the right safety gloves, one has to inspect and test whether gloves that have been bought are perfect. The gloves must be tested before being issued for use. They should also be inspected visually and need to be air tested for any possible defects like cuts, holes, punctures, tears, etc. They need to be checked before each day’s use. Especially, whenever there is a reason to believe they may have been damaged.
The gloves must be electrically tested at regular intervals of not more than 6 to 12 months. This stands for both the gloves and sleeves. The best practice is to test the gloves and sleeves regularly.
Precautions to be taken
The correct use and care of safety gloves is an important aspect of ensuring everyone’s health and safety. Even a small injury can cost an individual the full use of their hand or impede their performance.
In certain circumstances, the incorrect use of safety gloves can endanger the life of the person wearing them. It could also endanger the safety of others. This is the reason why right gloves, their accurate inspection, correct storage and care is so important.
We will be talking about gloves that are given to workers to ensure that they are safe. Also, the training and precautions they need to take in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Providing the workers with the best safety gloves is just the first step. The workers need to be trained in their gloves and they should be explained about the correct use and learn why they are necessary. They should also be informed as to when the gloves should be worn and which type of gloves are right for which jobs.
The training should include information on how to properly wear, adjust, and remove the gloves and should also provide a clear outline of the gloves’ limitations. It is a good idea to perform a demonstration of how to spot signs of wear and tear. They should also address proper care and maintenance which should be performed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Details of the training should be recorded along with the name of the participants. In addition, the host who organized the seminar or training session.
Basic care and use
- Safety gloves should fit comfortably and never be too tight or too loose.
- The material should be appropriate to the type of work performed and should stand up to the tasks involved.
- The gloves should be stored in a dry place where there is no space for moisture.
- When the gloves are washed, they need to be dried completely so that the gloves do not attract moisture and smell.
- After washing the gloves, wear them at least two or three times throughout the day so that the structure and shape of the gloves is not distorted.
- The gloves should be kept in a flat place and not one above the other.
- If the gloves are made of leather, they need to be covered in paper and should not come in contact with dirt or dust.
- Do not wash and reuse disposable gloves.
- Store gloves in the appropriate place for further use. For instance, rubber insulated gloves need to be stored in cool and dark places away from heat and steam.
- Replace worn or damaged gloves immediately and do not try to repair it by stitching or covering the holes with other material.
The bottom line
Safety gloves are a must in every field. Therefore, the owners of certain industries should ensure that they provide the right safety gloves to their workers. These gloves should be high in quality. The workers should also ensure that they follow the necessary precautions and do not take things lightly.
A company that provides the best safety gloves along with other protective equipment is RP ComTrade. It is a safety equipment manufacturing company working in the field for many years. The whole staff of the company keeps the customers’ priority on top. In addition, they ensure all the preferences and likings of the customers are taken into consideration. When it comes to quality, RP ComTrade is a no-brainer. Hence, when the discussion is about safety products, contact RP ComTrade.